The Housing Alliance of Pennsylvania will host a series of rental housing development finance courses and certification delivered by the National Development Council in 2020 in Pittsburgh, PA. Members of the Housing Alliance will be able to take this course at a discounted rate as a benefit of their membership. Courses can cost up to $1,425 in various cities nationwide. Keep reading for dates and details.
The National Development Council’s Rental Housing Development Finance Professional (RHDFP) Certification Program™ thoroughly examines the practice of affordable rental housing finance and development. Participants learn the steps of the housing development process, the techniques used to analyze and structure financing for rental housing deals, and the problem solving and negotiating skills needed to make complicated deals feasible. Topics include the rental housing development process, Historic Rehabilitation and Low-Income Housing Tax Credits, negotiating, problem solving, deal structuring and more. See the official brochure on this program from NDC here.
This certification consists of 3 courses:
• HD420—Rental Housing Development Finance – HD420 takes a detailed look at the analysis, financing and development of affordable rental housing. In this five-day course, participants learn the underwriting criteria used by lenders and the rates of return demanded by private equity investors in order to determine their investment in a rental housing project.
• HD423—Computer Spread Sheet Analysis for Rental Housing -HD423 incorporates the use of computer spread sheets designed to give participants the ability to apply the financial analysis techniques presented in the previous course. In this three-day course, participants learn to use of rental housing spread sheets as a tool to locate and interpret key financial information and to restructure a housing transaction based on revised assumptions. Prerequisite- HD420
• HD435—Rental Housing Development Finance: Problem Solving and Deal Structuring – HD435 blends the financial analysis techniques learned in the previous courses with the problem solving and negotiating skills that housing development practitioners use to close complex projects. This five-day course challenges participants to analyze and structure financing packages for rental housing deals that are complicated by a variety of factors, both financial and non-financial. Prerequisite- HD420 & HD423
HD420- March 23-27, 2020- 5 days
HD423- May 19-21, 2020- 3 days
HD435- Sept 28-Oct 2, 2020- 5 days
All sessions will take place at the Drury Plaza Pittsburgh Downtown. A special room rate of $139/night will be set up and offered for training attendees. Meals are not included with each training session, but the Drury Plaza Pittsburgh Downtown room rate includes the special features below.
- Free Hot Breakfast – Start every day with make-your-own Belgian waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage, fresh fruit, oatmeal, biscuits and gravy, KELSO+BROS® coffee and more. Free hot breakfast is served daily from 6–9:30 a.m. on weekdays and 7–10 a.m. on weekends.
- Free 5:30 Kickback®* – Join us from 5:30–7 p.m. every evening to enjoy free hot food and cold beverages at our 5:30 Kickback®. We feature a rotating menu of hot food, beer, wine, mixed drinks and soft drinks.
- Free Wi-Fi Throughout the Hotel – Get the score, check your social networks or email family members from anywhere in the hotel – for free!
- Free Soft Drinks and Popcorn – Freshly popped popcorn and a refreshing beverage make a great snack! Stop by the lobby for free soft drinks and popcorn every evening.
- On-Site Facilities – Take advantage of the business center, fitness center or pool while you’re away from home. Print your boarding pass, finish a presentation or check e-mail in our business centers.
For the March training date, book by February 19, 2020. Book online here or call 1-800-325-0720 and refer to Group 2390933
For the May training date, book by April 16, 2020. Book online here or call 1-800-325-0720 and refer to Group 2391046.
For the Sept/Oct training date, book by August 26, 2020. Book online here or call 1-800-325-0720 and refer to Group 2391043.
Registration is currently open and rolling and will close when class occupancy is filled.
|REGISTRATION||Member Pricing||Non-Member Pricing|
|March 23-27- 5 days, HD-420 ONLY||$1,250||$1,400|
|May 19-21- 3 days, HD-423 ONLY||$750||$825|
|September 28 – October 2- 5 days, HD-435 ONLY||$1,250||$1,400|
|Full Certification (all 3 courses)||$3,100||$3,500|
The registration fee includes all training sessions and materials. It does NOT cover lodging, meals, and travel expenses.
All registration cancellations and refund requests must be submitted in writing to Stacey@housingalliancepa.org and will be handled on a case by case basis. There will be a $25 administrative fee for any refund granted if approved. Refunds will not be considered within 60 days of class start. No refunds will be granted for no-shows or for those who do not pass a class to move on with the full certification. For those that do not pass the exam NDC offers a retest for $50 with a 2 week turnaround for grading purposes. The passing score for each of the courses is 70%.
The Housing Alliance reserves the right to cancel this training series due to low enrollment. In the event of canceling the training session, The Housing Alliance of PA’s liability is limited to 100% refund of registration fees and does NOT include penalty fees on travel tickets, deposits for hotel accommodations, or any other incurred expenses.