Housing Alliance Job Opening: Housing Specialist
The Housing Alliance of PA, under contract with the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services (PA DHS), seeks to fill the new position of Housing Specialist who will provide support to PA DHS on implementation of the housing strategy. (http://www.dhs.pa.gov/cs/groups/webcontent/documents/document/c_228399.pdf).
The Housing Specialist is an employee of the Housing Alliance of PA (HAP) and will report directly to the Executive Director of HAP. However, this person will be jointly supervised by the Executive Housing Director within the PA Department of Human Services (DHS). All work of the Housing Specialist supports the implementation of the state-wide housing strategy including deliverables within timeframes as identified in the work plan developed by DHS in coordination with HAP.
The Housing Specialist focuses on the aspects of the housing strategy that deal with consumer-transition from long-term care facilities or other types of institutional settings into home or community-based settings as well as consumer-diversion from long-term care facilities or other types of institutional settings in support of remaining in home or community-based settings (the “target population”). The Housing Specialist assists with planning, recommendations, and coordination of strategies and activities to expand the availability of housing and housing-related services and works to remove the barriers to housing for the target population. This work is accomplished by coordinating and directing the efforts of the DHS program offices, other state agencies, federal agencies, local government, and non-governmental organizations to identify and remove barriers to housing for the target population.
This position will be working out of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. This position will also require 25% travel and reliable transportation is a requirement for this position.
The Housing Specialist will collaborate with DHS and HAP staff when making recommendations and decisions related to changes in policies, procedures, and eligibility criteria.
The Housing Specialist will have the:
- Knowledge of regulations impacting housing for target population.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and methods of program planning and policy development.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- A bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of three years of professional experience in housing or community development or a related field
DHS may, at its sole discretion, modify these qualifications, as needed.
- Attend, as needed, all internal housing-related committee meetings, including the executive housing team meetings, to assist in coordinating and leveraging the efforts of the DHS program offices.
- Attend, as needed, all external stakeholder meetings, including the housing stakeholder workgroup, to assist the activities of the DHS program offices in coordination with other State agencies, Federal agencies, local government, non-governmental agencies, and other stakeholders as required by the housing strategy.
- Assist with the implementation and maintenance of the Section 811 Project Rental Assistance Demonstration Program; a federal grant for a rental subsidy for persons with disabilities with extremely low incomes and is administered by the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency in partnership with DHS.
- Assist in the development, implementation, and ongoing support for all DHS efforts to divert and transition individuals with disabilities from institutions to home and community-based settings.
- Assist with expanding and strengthening the local referral network and the Regional Housing Coordinator Program.
- Research and identify potential funding opportunities directed at funding safe, affordable, and accessible housing for the target population.
- Research and identify emerging trends for the target population in housing services, programs, budgeting, and marketing, both statewide and nationally.
- Recommend changes in housing policies, procedures, and eligibility criteria to maximize resources for the target population.
- Review and analyze existing DHS housing programs to determine current services, strengths and weaknesses, economies of scale, etc.
- Prepare and present reports and justification to executive management on housing recommendations and on the progress of statewide housing strategies in relationship to the target population.
- Other duties as assigned.
DHS may, at its sole discretion, modify these tasks as needed.
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with ‘Housing Specialist’ in the subject line.
Salary will be based on qualifications and experience