Posted May 8, 2018
Seeking a Qualified Policy Director
About the Housing Alliance of Pennsylvania: The Housing Alliance of Pennsylvania is a statewide coalition working to provide leadership and a common voice for policies, practices, and resources to ensure that all Pennsylvanians, especially those with low incomes, have access to safe, decent, and affordable homes. The Housing Alliance’s agenda includes initiatives on housing development for low income Pennsylvanians; community and economic revitalization; homelessness prevention and assistance; blight prevention and remediation; and efforts to rebuild homeownership.
About the Position: The Policy Director is the lead staff member charged with advocating for changes in law and policy at the state and federal levels to bring about a home within reach for all Pennsylvanians. Qualified candidates must be self-directed and will communicate and speak publicly to advance the organization’s policy priorities.
Location: While it is strongly preferred that a candidate work out of the Alliance’s Harrisburg office, we will consider candidates that commit to maintaining a strong presence in Harrisburg especially during the legislative session.
- Monitor housing and community development related legislation, programs, and policy in Harrisburg and Washington, DC, and alert staff and members about opportunities and threats. Respond and coordinate response as needed.
- Work constructively with administration officials, members and staff of the General Assembly, staff of PHFA, DCED and other agencies to increase responsiveness and effectiveness of housing programs, policy, and funding.
- Produce quality written documents, materials, and presentations, including but not limited to briefing material on state and federal action for both legislators and advocates.
- Conduct outreach, education and engagement of Housing Alliance members and partners at the local and state levels to advance affordable housing opportunities.
- Provide training and technical assistance to local and state members and stakeholders via workshops, webinars, and forums.
- Develop and utilize public meetings, the media, written communications and the Internet as needed to advance agenda.
- Work with Housing Alliance staff to set and implement priorities, goals and action plans to advance organizational initiatives.
- Plan conference sessions for the organization’s annual conference – Homes Within Reach – as well as content for forums, meetings, and workshops – organized by the Housing Alliance or another partner.
- Recruit and work with volunteers, members and interns to expand the reach and effectiveness of the organization.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to work effectively with a wide range of people to advance an agenda.
- Proven policy analysis, advocacy and organizing experience.
- Affordable housing, community development or other poverty related experience and expertise preferred.
- Ability to create consensus, when possible.
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s or law degree preferred.
Salary: Based on qualifications and experience
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Policy Director’ in the subject line.